Advanced Search

Townhouse fire in Dumfries ignited by burning candle

Prince William County Fire & Rescue units were dispatched to the 17000 block of Denali Place (Dumfries) at 5:06 p.m. for a reported townhouse fire. Crews arrived on the scene with smoke showing from the front of the home. Rapid deployment of hose lines, to the lower level of the home, helped to quickly extinguish the blaze said

One adult occupant was at home and safely evacuated after discovering the fire. No injuries were reported. The structure sustained moderate damage.  The American Red Cross assisted the 2 adults and 3 children displaced by Building Official’s determination the townhouse was unsafe to occupy.  The Fire Marshal’s Office determined the fire was ignited by a burning candle near combustibles.

This fire could have been prevented. The Fire Marshal’s Office does not recommend the use of candles, said Matt Smolsky
Assistant Chief – Fire Marshal. If they are used, they should never be left unattended, used near combustibles, or placed in a location where children or pets could be injured or accidentally tip the candle over. Smolsky said.

This home was equipped with smoke detectors Smoke detectors give you sufficient time to safety evacuate the area. It is critical that all homes have working smoke detectors. Make sure you have them installed in your home. Test them on a regular basis. When the alarm sounds safely evacuate and call 9-1-1.

Link to This Article

Copy and paste the code below on your site to link to the article.

<a href="">Townhouse fire in Dumfries ignited by burning candle</a>

Follow Us on Twitter!/bullrunnow
Welcome Guest! | Login