Advanced Search

Bathroom ceiling fan tagged as source of house fire in Haymarket early on March 23

Prince William County’s Assistant Fire Chief Matt Smolsky reports that units were dispatched to the 4500 block of Lawnvale Drive in Haymarket at 4:01 a.m. today, March 23, for a reported house fire. Crews arrived and upon investigation determined a previously discovered a bathroom ceiling fan fire had ignited material inside a wall. Overhaul was needed to complete extinguishment. No injuries were reported.

The structure sustained moderate damage and was determined to be unsafe to occupy by the Building Official. The Red Cross assisted three adults displaced by the incident. The Fire Marshal’s Office confirmed the bathroom fan was the original cause of the fire.

Smolsky said the residents were awakened by the smoke alarms alerting them of the fire which allowed them to exit the home and escape the fire. When properly installed and maintained, working smoke alarms save lives and protect against injury and loss due to fire.  The fire official added that smoke alarms should be installed on every level of your home and in and outside of sleeping areas. Ensure your smoke alarms are tested monthly. When a smoke alarm sounds, get outside, and stay outside.

Link to This Article

Copy and paste the code below on your site to link to the article.

<a href="">Bathroom ceiling fan tagged as source of house fire in Haymarket early on March 23</a>

Follow Us on Twitter!/bullrunnow
Welcome Guest! | Login