Advanced Search

Man burned while trying to keep warm outside on Minnieville Road; victim airlifted

On Tuesday, February 16th at approximately 5:30 a.m., fire and rescue crews were dispatched to a tent fire located in the 14100 block of Minnieville Road in Woodbridge.
Upon arrival, fire and rescue units discovered an adult male residing in the woods with burns to his hands and front of his body. In an attempt to keep warm while utilizing a propane cooking stove, a flash fire occurred upon lighting the stove in which he sustained second degree burns to his upper body. He was flown to Washington Burn Center for further treatment.
No other injuries were reported.
Prince William County Department of Fire and Rescue (http://www.pwcgov.org/fire) would like to remind residents to take precautions when using propane-powered equipment by following these simple safety tips:
 Handle any propane-powered equipment cautiously and always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
 Heaters identified as “outdoor use only” burn fuel at a high rate and must never be used indoors or in tents, campers, residential garages, trailers and other enclosures.
 No matter how cold, no fuel-burning appliance, including indoor-safe appliances, should be left unattended or operated while sleeping.
 If you smell a strong odor of gas, leave the area immediately and call 911 from outside the effected area. CO poisoning is colorless and tasteless; extremely dangerous and deadly.
 Do not smoke while handling the propane cylinder.
 Do not use matches or lighters to check for leaks.
 Do not allow children to tamper or play with the cylinder.
 Do not use, store, or transport a cylinder where it could be exposed to high temperatures.
 Keep the heater away from flammable materials, and don’t store extra LP or propane cylinders anywhere near the heater while it’s in operation.
-end-
DEPARTMENT OF
FIRE & RESCUE

Link to This Article

Copy and paste the code below on your site to link to the article.

<a href="http://www.bullrunnow.com/news/article/man_burned_while_trying_to_keep_warm_outside_on_minnieville_road_victim_air">Man burned while trying to keep warm outside on Minnieville Road; victim airlifted</a>

Follow Us on Twitter

https://twitter.com/#!/bullrunnow
Welcome Guest! | Login