Advanced Search

If you have a fire in your home, get out immediately and call 9-1-1

Prince William County Fire and Rescue System would like for everyone to remember if you have a fire in your home to immediately exit the home and call 9-1-1, according to Deputy Chief Matt Smolsky, who is also the county’s fire marshal.

Smolsky said that on Sunday, Jan. 9, 2022 at 8:35 PM fire and rescue units were dispatched to the 12000 block of Purdham Drive (Lake Ridge) for a reported house fire.

On arrival, crews found the occupants had been alerted to a space heater on fire by a smoke detector activating.  One occupant of home sustained serious injuries while removing the burning space heater from the home.

Smolsky said the injured occupant was transported to an area medical facility but later transferred to the Washington Hospital Center. No other occupants were injured. The home sustained minimal damage. No one was displaced. The investigation is continuing. 

With the cold temperatures the use of space heaters becomes more common, and precautions must be taken in their use. Keep combustibles 36 inches away, keep children and pets away, and ensure all wiring is intact and safe to use.

This incident also stresses the importance of working smoke detectors. There is no better device(s) to protect you and your family from fire than working smoke detectors, said Smolsky.

For more information go to http://www.pwcgov.org/fire

Link to This Article

Copy and paste the code below on your site to link to the article.

<a href="http://www.bullrunnow.com/news/article/if_you_have_a_fire_in_your_home_get_out_immediately_and_call_9_1_1">If you have a fire in your home, get out immediately and call 9-1-1</a>

Follow Us on Twitter

https://twitter.com/#!/bullrunnow
Welcome Guest! | Login